Skip to main content

Dungeon 23 Week 8 - Deepcrossing

 Welcome to Week 8 of my Dungeon 23 challenge! This week is the final map of this first chunk of 8 dungeons, and brings our brave (or hapless) adventurers into direct conflict with a seat of Basalt Power for the first time: The Deepcrossing.



The Deepcrossing itself is meant to serve as an obvious transition point between the Marketlands (where we have currently been exploring) and the Basalt Flats, where Fune and its army of elementals and conjurers holds dominion. Both in-game and out of game, this is signified by the first room on the map. Sticking your head in shows a bunch of banners that literally say "Fune was here" and shoots some big crossbow bolts at the party. But, note that the alarm isn't sounded unless the party sticks around. This way, should the party stumble into this place at low level, they can flee if they want and not provoke any response.

The timing on the alarms, and the programmed nature of the Basalt Walkers, also provides an interesting non-violent approach to this entire dungeon if the party is clever or informed enough. Rather than a straightforward dungeon fight through the complex, if the party can bypass or defeat the two arbalests in a single round, no alarm is sounded and so no walkers are hostile on site. The party would still need to be sneaky or clever to make it all the way to Kjinai's area without alerting the entire complex, but it can be done. And once there, since Kjinai's ultimate goal is to replace Fune as leader of the Basalt, the party could conceivably team up with her against the larger foe (for now).

So who is Kjinai? And Fune? And the Basalt elementals? Honestly, I haven't completely worked it out yet, but the seed of the idea is that in ancient times, the Priory trapped a mage named Fune, well before the market was in place. To survive, Fune made a bargain with an evil elemental force of earth, becoming the first Basalt creature. After thousands of years, Fune's power is such that it can act almost as a patron for other spellcasters, granting them basalt magic in exchange for their service. Kjinai is one such spellcaster, the most talented of them, and she has recently decided that she's learned enough from her elemental master and wants to move into more of a leadership role in the organization. With violence, if she gets any say about it.

That's all for this week - next time, we'll start fleshing out the Basalt Quarry, which contains the next five of the five-room dungeons making up the Greater Priory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dungeon 23 Week 7 - The Mill

 Welcome back to week 7 of my Dungeon 23 challenge! This week, we get the first real look at the "second" storyline to this megadungeon, the ancient Dwarvish expedition into the realm that the Priory has been built into (or has itself created around it...), as represented by a strange brass mill: Last week, the pumice rapids broke the 5-room dungeon format we've been following to instead present an area with 5 different random encounters that could be experienced by the party when they traverse and re-traverse the area. This week, the Mill also breaks the format a little: we once again return to five "rooms" of entrance, puzzle, red herring, climax, and payoff, but this time, they're all in the same physical room. I've done this for two reasons. First, for fictional cohesion, I wanted there to be a Dwarven mill somewhere in the dungeon, but it didn't really make sense for a steam engine powering a grind wheel to be this gargantuan 5-room complex. Sec...

Dungeon 23 Week 4 - The Glistermarsh

 Welcome back to my Dungeon23 challenge, where I'm making a megadungeon for the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG, one five-room dungeon at a time. Last week, we introduced where the water that sustains this part of the dungeon comes from, so this week, we're pivoting to what happens when that water meets the underground and alien environments of the Old Priory dungeon halls: a big, bioluminescent marsh! As I think I've alluded to in the past, when I'm designing this dungeon, I have a sort of "main story" in mind for each section. In this part of the dungeon, it's the conflict between the Lost (the inhabitants of Nowhere Market, detailed in Week 2) and Fune's Basalt Tower (which will come up in weeks 10-13). This wetlands section (the Mistfall last week, and the next few weeks centered around different things that happen when a bunch of water gets dumped in a dungeon) is more "side quest" or verisimilitude in intent, but that doesn't mean I can...

Dungeon 23 week 3 - Mistfall

Welcome back to week 3 of the Dungeon23 challenge. This week, we have a look at the area to the north of the False Priory, where we answer the question "wait there's a whole town living in this dungeon? Where do they get their water?" From a giant, mysterious waterfall of course! When I first thought up this level of the dungeon, I knew that I wanted to have a fair bit of it be marshy, fungus-filled terrain (for aesthetics), and that I wanted part of it to center around a mysterious ancient magi-tech mill (see Week 6, when we get there). Both of these would require a source of running water somewhere in the dungeon to permeate a bunch of the place, so I decided early on that there would need to be a waterfall somewhere in there. What we have here is a pretty standard water-dungeon set of encounters, for two reasons. The first is purely practical - that this week has been pretty rough for non-RPG reasons, so I didn't have as much time to dedicate to this project as I...