Skip to main content

Dungeon 23 Week 7 - The Mill

 Welcome back to week 7 of my Dungeon 23 challenge! This week, we get the first real look at the "second" storyline to this megadungeon, the ancient Dwarvish expedition into the realm that the Priory has been built into (or has itself created around it...), as represented by a strange brass mill:



Last week, the pumice rapids broke the 5-room dungeon format we've been following to instead present an area with 5 different random encounters that could be experienced by the party when they traverse and re-traverse the area. This week, the Mill also breaks the format a little: we once again return to five "rooms" of entrance, puzzle, red herring, climax, and payoff, but this time, they're all in the same physical room. I've done this for two reasons. First, for fictional cohesion, I wanted there to be a Dwarven mill somewhere in the dungeon, but it didn't really make sense for a steam engine powering a grind wheel to be this gargantuan 5-room complex. Second, for gameplay reasons, I wanted to have a whole dungeon contained in a single room to reward exploration. It would be easy to overlook the Mill on a quick pass through the northern parts of this map, so I wanted there to be an interesting discovery for players that bothered to poke around a bit.

Beyond this, the Mill is a fairly straightforward OSR-style encounter: a magic trap that only hits you if you are greedy, a puzzle with no built-in solution (how do you get in the sphere?), then a lying demon that tries to trick you back into the greed trap or, failing that, pummeling you with its thagomizer. Then, should the party prevail, they are left with a choice: slay the demon and be rewarded with magic weapons, but also impact the dungeon's ability to process food (leading to potential conflict in town). Or, let the demon live, and gain a slightly dark ability to tweak one's mercurial magic.

For those not familiar with DCC, mercurial magic is an extensive list of random effects that get applied to each spell a wizard learns, and which is unique to that wizard. If you roll well when learning a fire spell, for example, you might gain a spell that also heals you a bit, but if you roll poorly, you might kill an NPC each time you cast it! I'm a big fan of mercurial magic and how it helps make magic feel unpredictable, as well as letting two wizards have similar spells but not feel like copies of each other. However, some of the effects render spells almost useless, so I always like to add an in-game ability to re-roll them if the players want.

That's all for this week - next time, we'll have a look at the Deepcrossing, a fortified stronghold of the Basalt soldiers and the main source of conflict in this upper layer of the dungeon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dungeon 23 Week 4 - The Glistermarsh

 Welcome back to my Dungeon23 challenge, where I'm making a megadungeon for the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG, one five-room dungeon at a time. Last week, we introduced where the water that sustains this part of the dungeon comes from, so this week, we're pivoting to what happens when that water meets the underground and alien environments of the Old Priory dungeon halls: a big, bioluminescent marsh! As I think I've alluded to in the past, when I'm designing this dungeon, I have a sort of "main story" in mind for each section. In this part of the dungeon, it's the conflict between the Lost (the inhabitants of Nowhere Market, detailed in Week 2) and Fune's Basalt Tower (which will come up in weeks 10-13). This wetlands section (the Mistfall last week, and the next few weeks centered around different things that happen when a bunch of water gets dumped in a dungeon) is more "side quest" or verisimilitude in intent, but that doesn't mean I can...

Dungeon 23 week 3 - Mistfall

Welcome back to week 3 of the Dungeon23 challenge. This week, we have a look at the area to the north of the False Priory, where we answer the question "wait there's a whole town living in this dungeon? Where do they get their water?" From a giant, mysterious waterfall of course! When I first thought up this level of the dungeon, I knew that I wanted to have a fair bit of it be marshy, fungus-filled terrain (for aesthetics), and that I wanted part of it to center around a mysterious ancient magi-tech mill (see Week 6, when we get there). Both of these would require a source of running water somewhere in the dungeon to permeate a bunch of the place, so I decided early on that there would need to be a waterfall somewhere in there. What we have here is a pretty standard water-dungeon set of encounters, for two reasons. The first is purely practical - that this week has been pretty rough for non-RPG reasons, so I didn't have as much time to dedicate to this project as I...